Monday 23 May 2011

Tripe soup

Recently there was one of mine Finnish friends from Erasmus in Prague and we went to my favourite pub called Lokál. Because they all were vegetarians, they did not enjoy much the Czech cuisine, but they were bit surprised I have eaten a tripe soup there.

Tripe is cut animal stomach, mostly in Czech republic it is from cows. It has to be washed and boiled for several hours before it is edible. It looks like shit, smells terribly (when boiling) but tastes really good. The Czech tripe soup is bit like a goulash with marjoram.

I was looking at wikipedia and it seems, that we are not the only ones who are eating this. Tripe is eaten in quite a lot of countries. The Italian version looked quite interesting and I guess I will try to prepare it some day.

No comments: