Thursday 12 May 2011

Being old and wise

I have to say thay my wife's grandmother is really funny. She is over 80 years old, doctor of philosophy, and enjoying manual work and also she likes the thought that people who do not know her, think of her that she is just the "cleaning lady" :o).

Anyway it seems to me like she has discovered that now she is in the age when she can get away with almost anything, plus is making fun of people in the purest form of stereotype, that younger people are automatically thinking of the elderly as people with "dementia" or whatever. So here goes few examples of her wit and cleverness.

1) She was at the doctor and he told her - so we should do the next check in two months. And she replied: "One moment, I am quite busy, so let me check first my schedule if I have time at this day." So the doctor was like WTF?

2) She crossed the street not on the "zebra" and policemen who was walking nearby stopped her and said: "Hey, you should not be jaywalking, there is a zebra 50 metres there!" And she replied: "Oh young man, that is so kind of you that you want to carry my bag, but no hassle, I live over there I can manage." Then the conversation went for another 5 minutes where she pretended she has hearing problems and then the other policemen was like: "Hey man, let the lady go, not worth it" :o)

3) We were visiting her and she told me: "Oh look at this wonderful flower, how it blossoms so wonderfully." I did not know her that much back then so I was like looking at my wife and trying to explain in non-verbal language that the flower is from plastics, and that maybe her granny is bit mad, but she was just having a laugh at me.

Well I could have only one wish in my life, I wish I will be like her in next 50 years. I have never seen anyone like this. So intelligent, witty and hardworking. She could just enjoy being retired, but she still works three times a week for couple of hours.

No comments: