Monday 11 April 2011

Pre-linguistic experience

I am now reading a comparative book about Wittgenstein, Husserl and Heidegger and the main topic is language.

The author was at one page thinking, whether animals or very small children who are not able to speak yet are perceiving the world in the same way as we do. And that it is quite impossible (apart from watching your brain via MRI) to get what infants or animals thinks, simply because they do not speak.

Which made me to think about he "first memories" and how nobody is remembering anything from the first years of their life... so my idea was, whether it is simply because when you have no language, which makes it possible to think, then you cannot "create" any memories in your brain? So the first pre-linguistic years of your life are simply reflexes - I am hungry, I want to go to toilet, etc. and only thing you can do is screaming about it, because you caanot tell: "I am fucking hungry, want to eat!"... and when you start to speak, then you create your first long term memories, which are much advanced?

I am wondering if neuro science will be someday that advanced that it would be possible to answer such questions, like how are infants thinking without language etc. And if it is the lack of language which prevents human beings to have memories from their infancy.

No comments: