Tuesday 30 December 2008

Microsoft Mouse is not scrolling in Winamp, SPSS and other software

OK, there are several software (compatible with Micorosft Vista) which are not possible to use with Microsoft Mouse, because the "Smooth Scrolling" is doing everything else than smoothly working. So far I have found problems with WinAmp and SPSS 17. Vertical scroll UP is working, but if you scroll DOWN then the wheel moves like 100000times, but it moves only for 3 lines max in the software.

I am talking here about the latest drivers 6.30.191, Microsoft Wireless 8000 (and any other Microsoft mice) and Windows Vista Business system.

The only workaround I have been able to find at forums is:
1) Uninstall the Stupid Intellipoint Software
2) Delete all the mouses (press DELETE) in system devices (check the delete also the drivers).
3) You will be told to restart. Do that.
4) Go to microsoft.com/hardware site, where you download again the stupid IntelliPoint 6.3 Software (DO NOT OPEN THE EXE FILE!!!) just unzip that (if you use Total Commander then press alt+F9, if you do not, then unzipp via WinZip or WinRar).
5) then go to the list of devices, find the "mouse", press to update the drivers and manually find the unzipped folder. Vista will find the right driver and install.
6) you will be (probably) again told to restart. Do that.
7) Now in Control Panels if you click on Mouse, you will see that the "special Intellimouse" function is gone, no smooth scrolling. Just the number of lines you want to scroll up or down. (or horizontally as well).
8) Voila, you can scroll in all software in which it was unable to do beforehand - such as Winamp or SPSS.

Credit goes to the guy on the internet, who found this.
If you start to cry, that the buttons are now not working (on your mouse), then throw the Microsoft Mouse to the garbage bin and buy one which is able to PERFORM WELL (that means no Microsoft hardware).

My solution is to tell to the special buttons to fuck-off, because I love on Microsoft Mice that they are fucking big and comfy (I am no dwarf, so I have big hands). And scrolling is the most important thing on the mouse so... I can live just with two buttons and scrolling wheel on a very expensive laser wireless 4buttons+wheel mouse :o)).

1 comment:

Valerie said...

There's another solution that doesn't involve uninstalling anything.

If you have the IntelliPoint software installed, open up the Mouse Properties. On the "Buttons" tab, you can select the "Connected device." In my case, selecting "IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0" gave me the behavior I wanted. (I have the Microsoft Explorer Mini Mouse.) I can scroll down in Winamp again, and scrolling in other programs seems to work fine.

Thanks for your post. I tried your solution and it worked, but then I found myself needing to install Intellipoint for one of my other mice. That's when I stumbled upon the "Connected device" drop-down.