Monday 18 February 2008

Comparison between Malcolm X's education and mine ;o)

On the page 282 Malcolm X says:

"Gentlemen, I finished the eight grade in Mason, Michigan. My high school was the black ghetto of Roxbury, Massachusetts. My college was in the streets of Harlem, and my master's was taken in prison. Mr. Muhammad has taught me that I never need fear any man's intellect who tries to defend or to justify the white man's criminal record against the non-white man - especially the white man and the black man here in North America."

Well I if I had to speak about MY education, I would say: "I made it up to the University, but my high school was the place where I read hundreds of books under the desk during classess, my college was reading books on school toilets during my proper classes and my master's was taken by the philosophy of not reading the books I have to read but by reading the books I want to read instead. Always when there is an exam I read something else because I do not like to read books someone forces me to read. But after I do the exam for American A, Finnish 5 or Czech 1 = exellent ;o) then I read those books, but only because it is my own decision. Plus it gives me one of the most important lessons - even in the most difficult exams I always read something else, for example a novel... it keeps you relaxed and you are not stressed or fear anything... And the funny thing is that I was told by one teacher during exam (the only time in my life I got Czech 3 = the worst passing mark at Czech Universiites) so he told me that I seem to him as a person who has not read one single book in his life. Later on I was laughing at this, because he could not be more wrong... but it is said that you can learn how to be educated man but you cannot learn how to be wise man. (Or another translation would be "You can learn science, but not wisdom". Maybe that is why I do not like to learn science ;o))).

No comments: